Wednesday, May 15, 2013

How to Make an Herb Planter

How to make an herb pot that grows vertical instead of horizontal. Fresh herbs are always better than the freeze-dried-sitting-on-a-shelf-forever type you can buy in the store.  You can make the planter as big or small as you like. I use a LOT of herbs and so I made a large planter.

You will need, 
planter pot,
landscape barrier, 
chicken wire (I have a smaller holed wire here, I recommend a lighter gauged wire) 
Garden Soil, (I recommend Miracle Gro but you can make your own too) 
Wire snips, light weight wire,
herb plants.
Cut the wire so it makes a complete cylinder in the bottom of the pot, put into the pot, tie the wire ends with the light wire, and then  put the landscape barrier into the wire cylinder. 
Soil

Fill cylinder with soil
Cut three inch squares into wire and then cut a + into the barrier so you can access the soil.
cut herb plant out of peat pot
Remove excess soil but not enough to upset the root system of the plant



Put herbs into holes in cylinder careful to not damage plant, add as many squares as you want on the sides. Then plant taller herbs in the top of the cylinder. As the plants grow they will cover the exposed wire area.

Water and keep herbs pinched so they will stay fresh and manageable.  I keep my planter in an area that gets  mid-day sunlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment